Flaming June By Frederic Leighton
Flaming June was first begun as a motif to adorn a marble bath in one of Leighton’s other works, Summer Slumber. He became so attached to the design that he decided to create it as a painting in its own right.
The position of the sleeping woman gave Leighton a great deal of trouble. He made several preliminary sketches to determine the way in which she should lie; in particular he had difficulty making the angle of her right arm look natural. His studies show that the picture went through at least four evolutionary sketches before Leighton came to the end result. Out of these studies, four are nude and one is draped. The draped figure looks the least lifelike, demonstrating Leighton’s need to draw from a naked model to achieve a fidelity to nature.
Flaming June has become Leighton’s most recognisable picture. The realism of the transparent material worn by the sleeping woman, the stunningly rich colours and the perfectly recreated marble surround are characteristic of Leighton’s work, as is his use of natural light. He allows the sunset in the background to appear as molten gold.
- Flaming June is widely considered to be Leighton’s magnum opus , showing his classicist nature. It is thought that the woman portrayed alludes to the figures of sleeping nymphs and naiads the Greeks often sculpted.
- Real handcrafted canvas prints produced and hand-stretched in California. UV-resistant colors. Real wood frame(Non-MDF)& Solvent-free Ink: odorless and can be used by someone with allergies and in kids’ rooms. For giclee printing, the canvas used to actually print the final piece must be of archival quality. it is acid free and consists of a 100% cotton base. Museum-quality pieces printed, non-fading vibrant, saturated colors for up to 80-100 years.
- Canvas Print Size: 24×30″, Strengthened Depth: 1.5″
- Semi-Gloss Acrylic Coating applied to enhance appearance, protect, and preserve the artwork from dirt and dust, extending its lifetime and keeping it from fading.
- Brand Quality: production from one of the world’s leading wall decor manufacturers, DecorArts a registered Trademark. Made in the USA.