Square wave is a unique piece of kinetic design inspired by the Fibonacci sequence, the basic structure that is the make up of every living thing. Just spin it to get surprised by a series of mind-bending optical illusions, and unexpected hypnotizing revolutions. Square wave is made up of 21 connected metal rods which curve and mutate unexpectedly with the introduction of energy. The repetition of identical elements is precisely calibrated to create complex fluid structures. Designed in the UK and made in Italy, Square Wave combines iconic natural forms with mathematical formulae. Each bend and curl of the material is precisely calibrated to create a seamlessly integrated mechanism.
Square Wave was designed by the award winning artist Ivan Black. His work reflects a fascination and kinship with the mathematical patterns found everywhere in nature e.g. waves, leaves, shells, the human form etc. Tending towards the minimalist in design, his work reveals how order silently governs our seemingly disorderly world.
- AN ORIGINAL PIECE OF KINETIC ART – A rare example of originality and a perfect gift for people that have everything. In a modern age of information overload and radiating stress, peaceful and calming statues such as Square Wave help us to reflect, think and process what surrounds us. Studies have shown that the work of artists such as Ivan Black help to engage individuals with science and nature through a visual and physical medium, offering opportunities for individuals to educate themselves.
- DURABLE DESIGN – Square Wave is made of steel treated to be used in both indoor or outdoor environments. You can hang it in your garden or patio: Square Wave is made to last. You can admire it In a statuesque standing position, or hang it from the ceiling as a wonderful sculpture, or play with it, as it also becomes a relaxing kinetic toy. Square Wave is the result of extensive prototyping and iterations, in order to find the smoothest balance between weight and length of each metal rod.
- INSPIRED BY MATH – Waves are generated by folding the structure into a swirl, whereas a reverse snap will bring it back to the initial flat square state. Each rod is precisely calibrated to limit its move to a specific angle, allowing for the beautiful rotational wave motion via a cascade of angular momentum transfer.
- PERFECTLY SIZED – Square Wave is 9,8 x 9,8 inches (25×25 cm).
- EASY TO INSTALL – Square Wave is already assembled and comes in a premium package that includes accessories that will allow you to easily hang and display your piece of art.